Introduce WebKit Android port

장대웅

Hello,

I'd like to let you know: WebKit Android port is available. Please check repository on GitHub:

https://github.com/daewoong-jang/webkit-android

It is based on our web engine project and is totally different from the old Android port which had been packaged with AOSP.

The most important difference is that this new Android port adopts modern WebKit2 architecture. And it designed to be cross-platform itself so it can be built and run on other platforms(only for Windows, for now).

You can see more details on GitHub. It is still far from complete, but I'd like to let you know that it has begun. I hope this project will help the WebKit community to thrive. If you have any questions, send me on email: [hidden email](Weekdays) [hidden email](Weekends and holidays).

Regards,

Daewoong.

NAVER WebKit Team

Re: Introduce WebKit Android port

Yusuke SUZUKI
Interesting.
Can JSCOnly port accepts the Android porting things into JSC?
I think this should be small enough.

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 9:21 장대웅 <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yusuke Suzuki

Re: Introduce WebKit Android port

Konstantin Tokarev

12.03.2017, 12:36, "Yusuke SUZUKI" <[hidden email]>:
> Interesting.
> Can JSCOnly port accepts the Android porting things into JSC?
> I think this should be small enough.

That would be great indeed!

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 9:21 장대웅 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to let you know: WebKit Android port is available. Please check repository on GitHub:
>>
>> https://github.com/daewoong-jang/webkit-android
>>
>> It is based on our web engine project and is totally different from the old Android port which had been packaged with AOSP.
>>
>> The most important difference is that this new Android port adopts modern WebKit2 architecture. And it designed to be cross-platform itself so it can be built and run on other platforms(only for Windows, for now).
>>
>> You can see more details on GitHub. It is still far from complete, but I'd like to let you know that it has begun. I hope this project will help the WebKit community to thrive. If you have any questions, send me on email: [hidden email](Weekdays) [hidden email](Weekends and holidays).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Daewoong.
>>
>> NAVER WebKit Team

> Regards,
> Yusuke Suzuki
> ,

Konstantin

Re: Introduce WebKit Android port

Michael Catanzaro

Is this just a code drop? Or will you be committing to its maintenance
and attempting to upstream it?

It's interesting regardless!

Michael

Re: Introduce WebKit Android port

장대웅

Hi.

It is not just a code drop and I will continue maintain it. Actually, I’d like to code
together with anyone who is interested in it. I think WebKit is a really great project and
I hope Android port make WebKit more widely used and encourage Android developers to contribute.

I wrote Android port because it must be useful on Android platforms. Of course
we have powerful Chromium on Android - but sometimes we need a cleaner and smaller
renderer than a powerful one. I believe Android port can fit this need.

I think it would be great if Android port is able to join upstream. I would appreciate
if you let me know what is needed to upstream. Thank you for your feedback :)

Regards,
Daewoong.

17.03.2017, 21:04, "장대웅" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi.
>
> It is not just a code drop and I will continue maintain it. Actually, I’d like to code
> together with anyone who is interested in it. I think WebKit is a really great project and
> I hope Android port make WebKit more widely used and encourage Android developers to contribute.
>
> I wrote Android port because it must be useful on Android platforms. Of course
> we have powerful Chromium on Android - but sometimes we need a cleaner and smaller
> renderer than a powerful one. I believe Android port can fit this need.
>
> I think it would be great if Android port is able to join upstream. I would appreciate
> if you let me know what is needed to upstream. Thank you for your feedback :)

I think you should start with upstreaming WTF and JavaScriptCore changes, including
build system. There are people interested in using JSC on Android as standalone JavaScript
engine, I've CC'ed some of them. We have JSCOnly port intended for building JSC with
minimum dependencies, and it would be great if it had Android support.

As for upstreaming complete Android port, feasibility of that depends on how much full-time
developers are working on it, and on amount of Android-specific code. But of course you can
start from contributing fixes to port-independent code.

> Regards,
> Daewoong.

Konstantin

Re: Introduce WebKit Android port

장대웅

I agree that JSC for Android should be useful as JSC is the fastest JavaScript engine.

I will try build JSCOnly for Android soon then. Thank you for your suggestion. :)

17.03.2017, 21:04, "장대웅" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi.
>
> It is not just a code drop and I will continue maintain it. Actually, I’d like to code
> together with anyone who is interested in it. I think WebKit is a really great project and
> I hope Android port make WebKit more widely used and encourage Android developers to contribute.
>
> I wrote Android port because it must be useful on Android platforms. Of course
> we have powerful Chromium on Android - but sometimes we need a cleaner and smaller
> renderer than a powerful one. I believe Android port can fit this need.
>
> I think it would be great if Android port is able to join upstream. I would appreciate
> if you let me know what is needed to upstream. Thank you for your feedback :)

I think you should start with upstreaming WTF and JavaScriptCore changes, including
build system. There are people interested in using JSC on Android as standalone JavaScript
engine, I've CC'ed some of them. We have JSCOnly port intended for building JSC with
minimum dependencies, and it would be great if it had Android support.

As for upstreaming complete Android port, feasibility of that depends on how much full-time
developers are working on it, and on amount of Android-specific code. But of course you can
start from contributing fixes to port-independent code.

> Regards,
> Daewoong.

Konstantin

Re: Introduce WebKit Android port

장대웅

Currently, Android port uses cURL for network and cairo for graphics. Those popups you see are asking

if you'll allow https connections. Popups should be removed once proper certfication check is implemented.

I see you want to display videos with Android WebKit. Sadly, I don't think that is possible for now because the

media player backend is not yet implemented - and I have to tell you that implementing it is not trivial :(

I'm going to implement core functionalities including video but it would take some weeks. If you'd like to do it yourself,

I can give you some leads. Please send me email then :)

I agree. a small and peppy webkit or way to render a webpage on Android would be awesome.  I tried Chromium (too slow!), Chromium Embedded framework (not on android), and QT5.8 QtWebview (lacks customization). I would like to help if possible.

I built the libraries on my system but was unable to get the  MiniBrowser apk to build with ant and older built tools recommended. I imported into Android Studio ran it with a few additions to gradle. I posted the running version to Github, It loads to a device, granted a bit slowly.  have yet to try an emulator.
I am not able to load https://www.youtube.com/ . I get the following errors. According to stack overflow: "From the following threads this looks to be a bug with the WebView and can happen more often on enumerators when use host GPU is off."
03-18 15:27:44.491 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
[...]
03-18 15:27:44.491 3130-3338/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.491 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.501 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.501 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.501 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.501 3130-3338/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.531 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.531 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.531 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.571 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.611 3130-3338/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:44.621 3130-3338/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:45.271 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:45.341 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:45.351 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:45.351 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread
03-18 15:27:45.351 3130-3130/org.webkit.minibrowser W/art: Attempt to remove non-JNI local reference, dumping thread

While the page is loading I get the following questions from popups on my screen:

Allow m.youtube.com
Allow s.ytimg.com
Then the top red bar of youtube loads with the message: "invalid response received"
Screen shot is attached.

Any input on where I could start to get rid of these errors. How could i allow for GPU rendering with Android? What part of webkit code would deal with this? I will be researching on my own but any input is appreciated.

Patrick

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 7:06 PM, 장대웅 <[hidden email]> wrote:

I agree that JSC for Android should be useful as JSC is the fastest JavaScript engine.

I will try build JSCOnly for Android soon then. Thank you for your suggestion. :)

17.03.2017, 21:04, "장대웅" <[hidden email]>:

> Hi.
>
> It is not just a code drop and I will continue maintain it. Actually, I’d like to code
> together with anyone who is interested in it. I think WebKit is a really great project and
> I hope Android port make WebKit more widely used and encourage Android developers to contribute.
>
> I wrote Android port because it must be useful on Android platforms. Of course
> we have powerful Chromium on Android - but sometimes we need a cleaner and smaller
> renderer than a powerful one. I believe Android port can fit this need.
>
> I think it would be great if Android port is able to join upstream. I would appreciate
> if you let me know what is needed to upstream. Thank you for your feedback :)

I think you should start with upstreaming WTF and JavaScriptCore changes, including
build system. There are people interested in using JSC on Android as standalone JavaScript
engine, I've CC'ed some of them. We have JSCOnly port intended for building JSC with
minimum dependencies, and it would be great if it had Android support.

As for upstreaming complete Android port, feasibility of that depends on how much full-time
developers are working on it, and on amount of Android-specific code. But of course you can
start from contributing fixes to port-independent code.

> Regards,
> Daewoong.

Konstantin