How to get date when port was added? To list ports added in last 1/2/3/.../X weeks?

How to get date when port was added? To list ports added in last 1/2/3/.../X weeks?

Kurt Pfeifle via macports-users
From time to time I would like to get a list of newly added ports so I can see if I'm interested to install any one of them.

* How can I get the info about the dates when a port was added for the first time to MacPorts?
* How can I list all ports which arrived new in MacPorts within the last 1, 2, 3, ..., X weeks?

Re: How to get date when port was added? To list ports added in last 1/2/3/.../X weeks?

Ryan Schmidt-24

On Jun 13, 2017, at 02:30, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> From time to time I would like to get a list of newly added ports so I can see if I'm interested to install any one of them.
>
> * How can I get the info about the dates when a port was added for the first time to MacPorts?
> * How can I list all ports which arrived new in MacPorts within the last 1, 2, 3, ..., X weeks?

MacPorts doesn't have either of those features. You'll have to consult the Git repository:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports

We have a script called port-whatsnew which is supposed to tell you what changes have been committed to a port since you installed it:

https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/blob/master/port-whatsnew/port-whatsnew

It doesn't work right now because it hasn't been updated to account for our move to GitHub. Still, it shows how you could determine what has changed in a repository since a date, and that idea could be extended to get the information you want.

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have a script called port-whatsnew which is supposed to tell you what changes have been committed to a port since you installed it:

https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/blob/master/port-whatsnew/port-whatsnew

It doesn't work right now because it hasn't been updated to account for our move to GitHub. Still, it shows how you could determine what has changed in a repository since a date, and that idea could be extended to get the information you want.

Though to determine what has changed in an existing (and known to me) repository since a date is a useful feature too -- my curiosity right now is itching about how to learn about completely newly added ports. ("Oh great -- the MacPorts team has added 'tabula-extractor' and 'askbot' a week ago...")

My guess is that this would be a useful feature for many more users.

db

On 19 Jun 2017, at 23:19, Kurt Pfeifle via macports-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Though to determine what has changed in an existing (and known to me) repository since a date is a useful feature too -- my curiosity right now is itching about how to learn about completely newly added ports. ("Oh great -- the MacPorts team has added 'tabula-extractor' and 'askbot' a week ago…")

I guess you can parse https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commits/master.atom for 'new' or 'new port'.

Re: How to get date when port was added? To list ports added in last 1/2/3/.../X weeks?

Kenneth F. Cunningham
The Portfiles used to have the date they were added in the top line, which was handy to see if the port was ancient. This line was removed once macports moved to git, which was in a way too bad.

I use something like this (from the root directory of my git fork of macports-ports)

git log --pretty=oneline

or

git log --pretty=oneline games

if I want to see just a certain directory

On Jun 20, 2017, at 14:13, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> The Portfiles used to have the date they were added in the top line, which was handy to see if the port was ancient. This line was removed once macports moved to git, which was in a way too bad.

No, it was the date the last change was committed to that file.

Re: How to get date when port was added? To list ports added in last 1/2/3/.../X weeks?

Stephen Baber
I have written a UI for MacPorts used by some in our community.  It
implements this very feature you asked of.  By clicking "What's new"
and setting the number of days back, you will see ports whose backing
Portfile was updated by rsync.  It also shows a totals view for seeing
port changes grouped by day.  You can find this project at
http://jportsui.sf.net with downloads located in the files section.

Steve