How long should we wait for submitter action on a PR?

How long should we wait for submitter action on a PR?

Perry E. Metzger-2
We have one open PR where the submitter hasn't replied to some
requests for changes since the initial request several weeks ago. (I
tried emailing the requester directly some time ago and got no
response there either.)

Clearly there should be a timeout after which the pull request gets
closed for lack of submitter action, but what should it be? (We can
always reopen the request if the submitter wakes up of course, it
just no longer shows as a pending action for project members to worry
about processing.)

(I imagine in some cases someone might choose to make the fixes on
behalf of the submitter and commit them, but lets ignore that
possibility for now.)

Perry
Perry E. Metzger [hidden email]

Re: How long should we wait for submitter action on a PR?

Ryan Schmidt-24

Why should we ignore that possibility? That would have been my recommendation. That's how we handle tickets, isn't it?

Re: How long should we wait for submitter action on a PR?

Perry E. Metzger-2
On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 18:31:51 -0500 Ryan Schmidt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2018, at 09:37, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > We have one open PR where the submitter hasn't replied to some
> > requests for changes since the initial request several weeks ago.
> > (I tried emailing the requester directly some time ago and got no
> > response there either.)
> >
> > Clearly there should be a timeout after which the pull request
> > gets closed for lack of submitter action, but what should it be?
> > (We can always reopen the request if the submitter wakes up of
> > course, it just no longer shows as a pending action for project
> > members to worry about processing.)
> >
> > (I imagine in some cases someone might choose to make the fixes on
> > behalf of the submitter and commit them, but lets ignore that
> > possibility for now.)
>
> Why should we ignore that possibility?

I'm only ignoring it for purposes of asking how long to leave a pull
request lying around. Nothing in setting such a timeout prevents us
from choosing to make the fixes on our own.