Quantcast

[GSoC] Call for Mentors GSoC 2017

Jackson Isaac-2
Hello everyone,

As you all might be knowing GSoC season has started and they are
accepting organization applications until February 9, 2017, 17:00
(UTC).

I would like to invite you all and know who all would like to mentor
some awesome students this year to get on-board with MacPorts.

I have already started the application process by coordinating with
Rainer. If we have sufficient mentors and a admin and backup admin(s),
we can move ahead with the application process.

Please feel free to reply to this thread if you are interested in
participating as a mentor for GSoC 2017 with The MacPorts Project.

Call out for mentors and admin from GSoC 2015:
Jeremy, Clemens,

Would you like to be the admin/backup admin again this year ?

Clemens, Lawrence, Michael, Rainer,

There are some of your ideas in the ideas list, would you like to
mentor GSoC students this year ?

Bradley has volunteered to mentor this year.

Jackson Isaac

Re: [GSoC] Call for Mentors GSoC 2017

Michael Dickens-4
I'm up for being a mentor again, for the correct student.

Do we have a MP GSoC website up yet? The best I can find is <
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode >, which is for 2015.

Cheers! - MLD

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017, at 10:52 PM, Jackson Isaac wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> As you all might be knowing GSoC season has started and they are
> accepting organization applications until February 9, 2017, 17:00
> (UTC).
>
> I would like to invite you all and know who all would like to mentor
> some awesome students this year to get on-board with MacPorts.
>
> I have already started the application process by coordinating with
> Rainer. If we have sufficient mentors and a admin and backup admin(s),
> we can move ahead with the application process.
>
> Please feel free to reply to this thread if you are interested in
> participating as a mentor for GSoC 2017 with The MacPorts Project.
>
> Call out for mentors and admin from GSoC 2015:
> Jeremy, Clemens,
>
> Would you like to be the admin/backup admin again this year ?
>
> Clemens, Lawrence, Michael, Rainer,
>
> There are some of your ideas in the ideas list, would you like to
> mentor GSoC students this year ?
>
> Bradley has volunteered to mentor this year.

> Jackson Isaac

Re: [GSoC] Call for Mentors GSoC 2017

Mojca Miklavec-2
On 7 February 2017 at 16:25, Michael Dickens wrote:
> I'm up for being a mentor again, for the correct student.
>
> Do we have a MP GSoC website up yet? The best I can find is <
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode >, which is for 2015.

I guess the idea is to simply fix the contents of that page (fix dates etc.).

Many project ideas are still valid, but we should of course add new
ones (go through the tickets and figure out what ideas are both
feasible and of great importance to the community :) and potentially
change some of the old ones (or remove them if no longer relevant).
Some ideas have already been (partially) implemented

Some things from the top of my head (without checking feasibility or
reasonability):
- collect statistics from the buildbot jobs, track outdated ports (via
livecheck), ... to become part of a potential new website
- come up with a solution to test basic functionality of submitted pull requests
- create various buildbot jobs that we might need (like
"automatically" creating a new release etc.)
- finish the SAT solver for dependency tracking (started during 2015,
not sure about the current status)
- ...

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Mojca Miklavec <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7 February 2017 at 16:25, Michael Dickens wrote:
>> I'm up for being a mentor again, for the correct student.
>>
>> Do we have a MP GSoC website up yet? The best I can find is <
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode >, which is for 2015.
>
> I guess the idea is to simply fix the contents of that page (fix dates etc.).

Yes. Also, feel free to update the wiki with any ideas that come up.

> Many project ideas are still valid, but we should of course add new
> ones (go through the tickets and figure out what ideas are both
> feasible and of great importance to the community :) and potentially
> change some of the old ones (or remove them if no longer relevant).

I think some of the old ideas may not be feasible since with every new
edition of OS, some new features are added and accordingly we might
also have to update/remove those ideas since we might not be
supporting the older versions of mac os.

> Some things from the top of my head (without checking feasibility or
> reasonability):
> - collect statistics from the buildbot jobs, track outdated ports (via
> livecheck), ... to become part of a potential new website
> - come up with a solution to test basic functionality of submitted pull requests
> - create various buildbot jobs that we might need (like
> "automatically" creating a new release etc.)

Mojca, would you like to put these ideas on our Ideas page ? and also
possibly be a mentor :).

> - finish the SAT solver for dependency tracking (started during 2015,
> not sure about the current status)

I am trying to continue the work on it in my free time, need to update
myself as lot of changes were made since I last worked on macports
base.

I had updated the branch with master few months back and now I am
working on merging it with the latest change. Some work need to be
done regarding the libsolv source to match with vendor tarball PR
changes.

Some of the work that were left during that time were uninstall ports,
variants support and to add more fields to the portfile for better
search options that are supported by libsolv. There might be more
things that we could do with libsolv since there has been lot of
additions to libsolv source too which I feel would be easy to
integrate as we now have extracted directories and latest changes can
be pushed without tarring the whole thing and pushing which was an
expensive overhead before.

Jackson Isaac

Re: [GSoC] Call for Mentors GSoC 2017

Clemens Lang-2
Hi Jackson,

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 09:22:03AM +0530, Jackson Isaac wrote:
> I have already started the application process by coordinating with
> Rainer. If we have sufficient mentors and a admin and backup admin(s),
> we can move ahead with the application process.

Thanks for making the effort!

> Please feel free to reply to this thread if you are interested in
> participating as a mentor for GSoC 2017 with The MacPorts Project.
>
> Call out for mentors and admin from GSoC 2015:
> Jeremy, Clemens,
>
> Would you like to be the admin/backup admin again this year?
>
> Clemens, Lawrence, Michael, Rainer,
>
> There are some of your ideas in the ideas list, would you like to
> mentor GSoC students this year?

Unfortunately I don't feel I have the time required to mentor a student
this year due to work and other commitments. If a backup admin is still
needed, I can do that, though.

If anybody has any questions on the potential tasks that I added to the
GSoC page in the recent year(s), feel free to reach out.

Clemens

On 2017-02-07 04:52, Jackson Isaac wrote:
> Clemens, Lawrence, Michael, Rainer,
>
> There are some of your ideas in the ideas list, would you like to
> mentor GSoC students this year ?

As in 2015, I am happy to help with the selection of students and with
whatever comes up during the mentoring process, especially with
developing on base. Sorry, I cannot take the commitment for a full
mentorship. I would rather like to spend my spare time on other areas,
like improving our infrastructure.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Rainer Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As in 2015, I am happy to help with the selection of students and with
> whatever comes up during the mentoring process, especially with
> developing on base. Sorry, I cannot take the commitment for a full
> mentorship. I would rather like to spend my spare time on other areas,
> like improving our infrastructure.

So as of now we have 2 mentors (Bradley and Michael). I guess I would
be the org admin if I am applying on behalf of MacPorts for GSoC.

Clemens have volunteered to be a backup admin, if no one else volunteers.

I would like to wait until tomorrow afternoon if another mentor comes
up. I am not so sure if we should move forward or wait ?

Rainer/Clemens,

Maybe you could suggest in this regard ?

Jackson Isaac

Re: [GSoC] Call for Mentors GSoC 2017

Jackson Isaac-2
Hi all,

This is a gentle reminder for GSoC 2017 Call for Mentors. If anyone
else is interested in mentoring some awesome students this summer
please let us know.

I would also like to know if the mentors who have agreed to mentor
this year have been contacted by any interested student until now and
could you please share some experience/response from students?

I noticed that there were few students around on IRC and mailing list.
Would be great to hear about their interactions.