[GSoC 2017] Second Evaluation

Jackson Isaac-2
Hi GSoC Students and Mentors,

Phase 2 evaluations has begun. Deadline for filling the evaluations is
July 28, 2017 16:00 UTC. The procedure remains the same as previous.
Also please summarize the work done until now, challenges faced and
how did you manage to overcome them.

Please let us know if there are any issues faced.

Regards,
Jackson Isaac

Re: [GSoC 2017] Second Evaluation

Umesh Singla-2
[I'm not sure if the previous mail got delivered, resending]

I have submitted the evaluation from my side on the portal. I'll try to come up with a write-up for this period too as I did for the last one, as soon as possible.

Now I gotta ask if there is any way you all use to let Gmail remember you to use @macports alias before hitting the Send button. Every time, it changes to my Gmail address by default and I have to change it back :/

Regards,
Umesh

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 6:04 AM, Umesh Singla <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jackson

I have submitted the evaluation from my side on the portal. I'll try to come up with a write-up for this period too as I did for the last one, as soon as possible.

Regards,
Umesh

Umesh Singla

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Jackson Isaac <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi GSoC Students and Mentors,

Phase 2 evaluations has begun. Deadline for filling the evaluations is
July 28, 2017 16:00 UTC. The procedure remains the same as previous.
Also please summarize the work done until now, challenges faced and
how did you manage to overcome them.

Please let us know if there are any issues faced.

Regards,
Jackson Isaac

Re: [GSoC 2017] Second Evaluation

Bradley Giesbrecht-3
Thanks, I completed the mentor evaluation for the Migration project.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)

> On Jul 24, 2017, at 9:10 AM, Jackson Isaac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi GSoC Students and Mentors,
>
> Phase 2 evaluations has begun. Deadline for filling the evaluations is
> July 28, 2017 16:00 UTC. The procedure remains the same as previous.
> Also please summarize the work done until now, challenges faced and
> how did you manage to overcome them.
>
> Please let us know if there are any issues faced.
>
> Regards,
> Jackson Isaac

Re: [GSoC 2017] Second Evaluation

Zero King-2
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 09:40:24PM +0530, Jackson Isaac wrote:
>Hi GSoC Students and Mentors,
>
>Phase 2 evaluations has begun. Deadline for filling the evaluations is
>July 28, 2017 16:00 UTC. The procedure remains the same as previous.
>Also please summarize the work done until now, challenges faced and
>how did you manage to overcome them.

I've completed my second evaluation.

Until now, I have coded and deployed the CI bot that tests pull requests
on Travis CI and the PR bot that mentions maintainers and adds labels
according to available information from the databases and GitHub API.
Some features aren't implemented yet but both bots have already
processed many PRs.

One of the biggest challenges is that I started from scratch and had to
make a lot of hard decisions like whether to use mpbb or call port(1)
directly and how to upload logs. I had to find a balance between
reliability, security, maintainability, etc. and sometimes had to
abandon some code due to design changes.

Another challenge is that I'm not good at wording so while I've spent a
lot of time on documentation and comments the results aren't ideal yet.

>Please let us know if there are any issues faced.

First, The com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist related bugs [1][2] appear randomly
(with low probability). While I've tried to fix [1] with [3], I'm not
able to verify if it works right away because I can't abuse Travis CI
resources to catch a random failure. Please help.

[1] https://travis-ci.org/macports/macports-ports/jobs/245649003
[2] https://travis-ci.org/macports/macports-ports/jobs/249233655
[3] https://github.com/macports-staging/macports-base/commit/84b040fbcb1134e5cab1cc10cfc991c2d05c4824#diff-d7db55f70d83fc9dba4ef14de9febe71

Second, I plan to keep the Travis build config for prebuilt MacPorts
binaries used in CI in a separate repository under github.com/macports
or a branch in macports-base that is rebased onto the release branch
whenever a new version of MacPorts is released. I prefer using a
separate repository because I can update the binaries by creating a new
release (tag) on the same commit (MacPorts version can be read from tag
name) and keep the setup for ports CI away from macports-base (they
aren't related IMHO). Any suggestion?

--
Best regards,
Zero King

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GSoC 2017] Second Evaluation

pvr4me
> On Jul 26, 2017, at 8:33 AM, Zero King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another challenge is that I'm not good at wording so while I've spent a
> lot of time on documentation and comments the results aren't ideal yet.

Don’t be too hard on yourself; I would say you are doing fine.  Expressing yourself concisely—and precisely—is vastly important.  And it is a skill that we’re never finished learning.  Keep working at it and get feedback wherever you can.

Craig

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 08:58:02AM -0400, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> On Jul 26, 2017, at 8:33 AM, Zero King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Another challenge is that I'm not good at wording so while I've spent a
>> lot of time on documentation and comments the results aren't ideal yet.
>
>Don’t be too hard on yourself; I would say you are doing fine.  Expressing yourself concisely—and precisely—is vastly important.  And it is a skill that we’re never finished learning.  Keep working at it and get feedback wherever you can.

Thank you.

--
Best regards,
Zero King

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [GSoC 2017] Second Evaluation

Clemens Lang-2
Hi Jackson,

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 09:40:24PM +0530, Jackson Isaac wrote:
> Phase 2 evaluations has begun. Deadline for filling the evaluations is
> July 28, 2017 16:00 UTC. The procedure remains the same as previous.
> Also please summarize the work done until now, challenges faced and
> how did you manage to overcome them.

Sorry for being late this time, but we've completed the necessary
evaluations now.

--
Clemens