Quantcast

[GSoC 2017] Community Bonding

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[GSoC 2017] Community Bonding

Jackson Isaac-2
Hi GSoC Students and Mentors,

I hope you are utilizing the community bonding period well and had
some kind of introductory get to know interaction between
student-mentor(s) already. If not yet, please do so, it would help you
to get to know each other better, set up future plans and discuss any
changes/shortcomings.

neverpanic's session[1] during MacPorts Meeting should help you get
started with macports-base and give you a good overview of macports
internals. Please go through it if not yet done.

It would be great to hear from you how is community bonding is going
on till now. Let us know if you face any issues or need any help to
setup meetings.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46qshiDskrM

Happy Summer Coding,
Jackson Isaac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [GSoC 2017] Community Bonding

Mojca Miklavec-2
Hi,

On 18 May 2017 at 20:07, Jackson Isaac wrote:
> Hi GSoC Students and Mentors,
>
> I hope you are utilizing the community bonding period well and had
> some kind of introductory get to know interaction between
> student-mentor(s) already. If not yet, please do so, it would help you
> to get to know each other better, set up future plans and discuss any
> changes/shortcomings.

I would also like to encourage everyone to keep all the discussions
both during community bonding and coding period in the open. Other
developers that are not your mentors might provide useful feedback and
quicker answers and many are simply eager to follow the progress of
the projects.

So unless you are sharing passwords or personal details that are
unrelated to the project, please try to keep the community involved in
the discussions. If traffic goes out of control, we can always set up
another list :) :) :)

Mojca
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [GSoC 2017] Community Bonding

Bradley Giesbrecht-3
In reply to this post by Jackson Isaac-2
> On May 18, 2017, at 11:07 AM, Jackson Isaac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> neverpanic's session[1] during MacPorts Meeting should help you get
> started with macports-base and give you a good overview of macports
> internals. Please go through it if not yet done.
>
> It would be great to hear from you how is community bonding is going
> on till now. Let us know if you face any issues or need any help to
> setup meetings.
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46qshiDskrM


> On May 4, 2017, at 1:27 PM, Umesh Singla <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Regarding the work, I plan to keep a blog to report my progress. I'll write a post about every two weeks, and keep email communication with my mentors.

Hi Umesh,

Do you have a blog address you are ready to share?
Have you watched the video [1] Jackson referenced?
Do you have any questions about MacPorts base, this project or MacPorts in general?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [GSoC 2017] Community Bonding

Umesh Singla
Hi

I have written two introductory posts on my blog [0] on Blogger. I thought I shared the link to it in the proposal but no, I didn't. The one is just when the results got announced and other about my take on the macports-base video. 

About the project, so the `restore`, `snapshot` and `migrate` actions are going to the action_array list [1]. While the flow was made clear in the proposal, I think the first step should be to decide on an exhaustive list of arguments/flags these 3 actions can possibly take. This will help to design the procedures. 

Also, should we keep the code in a different Tcl script migrate.tcl like `reclaim`? and code dealing with the database is going to be in C in cregistry's sql.c [2], right? (like Tcl calling registry2.0 code currently?) 
 
All this is still trivial. What worries me most is the testing part. I'm not sure Brad, how are we going to take on the testing phase. We can virtually change specifications to see if the script works or compare the two docker images? Also, it needs a set of tests that should include all combinations of variants, requested-activate-deactivate scenarios. This is one big task to be considered. 

Guide me to the first step, thanks. It'd be great if you want to have a FaceTime or Skype. I think after 0900 (UTC -8) would suit you best?



On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 9:07 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On May 18, 2017, at 11:07 AM, Jackson Isaac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> neverpanic's session[1] during MacPorts Meeting should help you get
> started with macports-base and give you a good overview of macports
> internals. Please go through it if not yet done.
>
> It would be great to hear from you how is community bonding is going
> on till now. Let us know if you face any issues or need any help to
> setup meetings.
>
> [1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46qshiDskrM


> On May 4, 2017, at 1:27 PM, Umesh Singla <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Regarding the work, I plan to keep a blog to report my progress. I'll write a post about every two weeks, and keep email communication with my mentors.

Hi Umesh,

Do you have a blog address you are ready to share?
Have you watched the video [1] Jackson referenced?
Do you have any questions about MacPorts base, this project or MacPorts in general?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)





--
Umesh Singla
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [GSoC 2017] Community Bonding

Clemens Lang-2
Hi,

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:52:55AM +0530, Umesh Singla wrote:
> I have written two introductory posts on my blog [0] on Blogger. I
> thought I shared the link to it in the proposal but no, I didn't. The
> one is just when the results got announced and other about my take on
> the macports-base video.

Let me know if you have any questions about the codebase that you'd like
to see answered.


> About the project, so the `restore`, `snapshot` and `migrate` actions
> are going to the action_array list [1]. While the flow was made clear
> in the proposal, I think the first step should be to decide on an
> exhaustive list of arguments/flags these 3 actions can possibly take.
> This will help to design the procedures.
>
> Also, should we keep the code in a different Tcl script migrate.tcl
> like `reclaim`?

I would prefer that, yes. You'll just need
  package provides macports 1.0
line at the top and then you can write code as if it was in
macports.tcl. Alternatively, you can do what reclaim.tcl does and use
  package provides migrate 1.0
and add 'package require migrate 1.0' in macports.tcl.

> and code dealing with the database is going to be in C in cregistry's
> sql.c [2], right? (like Tcl calling registry2.0 code currently?)

If you need any additional special SQL queries, that can be done, yes.
There should be abstractions available in Tcl already so that you don't
have to deal with SQLite's C API directly, though.


> All this is still trivial. What worries me most is the testing part.
> I'm not sure Brad, how are we going to take on the testing phase. We
> can virtually change specifications to see if the script works or
> compare the two docker images? Also, it needs a set of tests that
> should include all combinations of variants,
> requested-activate-deactivate scenarios. This is one big task to be
> considered.

Yes, the testing is not trivial at all. It might make sense to work with
mocking a lot here (e.g. overwrite functions that would usually be
called by your code to do nothing). That would allow you to run tests
without actually changing your system or doing a lot of environment
setup.

Fortunately Tcl makes this quite easy because you can change any
function definition at runtime. See [1] and [2] where I used this
technique to make the test think it runs as root or runs on a machine
with a different number of processors.


> Guide me to the first step, thanks. It'd be great if you want to have
> a FaceTime or Skype. I think after 0900 (UTC -8) would suit you best?

Let me know if you have any questions after that. I'm always happy to
help!


[1] https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/master/src/port1.0/tests/portactivate.test#L29-L48
[2] https://github.com/macports/macports-base/blob/master/src/port1.0/tests/portbuild.test#L26-L46

--
Clemens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [GSoC 2017] Community Bonding

Bradley Giesbrecht-3
In reply to this post by Umesh Singla
> On May 22, 2017, at 12:22 PM, Umesh Singla <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have written two introductory posts on my blog [0] on Blogger.
>
> [0]: http://umeshsingla.blogspot.in/

Umesh, thanks for sharing this link.

In your second blog post you mention that by now you should have received your MacPorts @macports.org handle. Please share your handle when you receive it.

Also, please share the GitHub account you will be using for your MacPorts work.


Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)
Loading...