GSOC 2018

Abhishek Kashyap
Can i select more than one idea in this organisation.What is terms and condition of this Gsoc project.

Re: GSOC 2018

Mojca Miklavec-2
On 1 March 2018 at 21:17, Abhishek Kasyap wrote:
> Can i select more than one idea in this organisation.

You can submit an arbitrary proposal. You can combine several ideas
that need less work or write a completely different proposal for
writing something that's not even listed (once you are familiar enough
with MacPorts to understand what's needed).

But it makes absolutely no sense to submit multiple exclusive
proposals (for example submit three proposals for three different
projects that would each occupy the full summer).

But you need to understand that you cannot merely select an idea from
the list. Copy-paste applications will be rejected. Before the
deadline for applications you need to have discussed the idea(s) with
the mentor and community in sufficient detail, explain exactly what
you will do, how and when, prepare a detailed schedule with clearly
defined goals for mid-term evaluations etc. And you need to show the
community that you are competent enough to be able to achieve the
goals you set.

> What is terms and condition of this Gsoc project.

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/terms/student

Re: GSOC 2018

Umesh Singla-2
Hi

You are welcome to select multiple ideas provided you're able to communicate about it with mentors and propose on time. Only the best one proposal will be selected.

Generally it's better to pay attention to understand one project's requirements and expectations to get started with a community.

We don't have terms and conditions per se. A student will need a macOS machine for most of the projects and proved ability to code, debug and follow through. The discussion within the community about the project usually tells a lot about the student.

Umesh.

On 1 March 2018 at 21:56, Umesh Singla  wrote:
> Hi
>
> You are welcome to select multiple ideas provided you're able to communicate
> about it with mentors and propose on time. Only the best one proposal will
> be selected.

I must strongly disagree here.

OK, sure, the student *could* prepare multiple fully worked out
proposals, *but*:
- This means a lot of wasted effort when only one could be implemented
at the end.
- Projects will be selected based on student's ability to prove he/she
is able to complete the project + quality of proposal and
communication with community. I fail to see how writing multiple
proposals for the same org would increase the chances of that student
being selected.
- It is highly unlikely that the same student could prepare an
excellent proposal A and a bad proposal B (without being able to judge
about the quality himself/herself).

That said, of course the student can start discussing multiple ideas
over the coming month to get a better overview of what exactly is
needed and to get a better feeling about the best fit, both in terms
of mentor, skillset etc. But when final proposal is submitted, I fail
to see any added value in submitting multiple ones.

In case many excellent students submit a proposal for exactly the same
idea, it could help to pick something else, but that's up to mentors
to communicate to students early enough.

The idea is also not 100% set in stone after the summer begins if both
student and mentor agree to change of plans.

> Generally it's better to pay attention to understand one project's
> requirements and expectations to get started with a community.

Indeed.

Mojca