GQ requires XML::Parser

Dave Horsfall
Sierra 10.12.6.

Trying to install the GQ LDAP browser I traced the failure to the Perl
module "XML::Parser" being required.  Trying the obvious "port install
XML::Parser" resulted in:

     Can't map the URL 'XML::Parser' to a port description file ("Can't parse url XML::Parser").
     Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
     Error: Can't open URL 'XML::Parser' as a port
     Error: Improper expression syntax while processing parameters

Can someone please remind me how to install this from ports (I assume)?

Or is it pure Perl?  If the latter I'll then have to remember how to
install a Perl module...

Thanks.

-- Dave

Re: GQ requires XML::Parser

Re: GQ requires XML::Parser

Bill Cole
On 16 Sep 2019, at 0:36, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Sierra 10.12.6.
>
> Trying to install the GQ LDAP browser I traced the failure to the Perl
> module "XML::Parser" being required.
> Trying the obvious "port install XML::Parser" resulted in:
>
>     Can't map the URL 'XML::Parser' to a port description file ("Can't
> parse url XML::Parser").
>     Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
>     Error: Can't open URL 'XML::Parser' as a port
>     Error: Improper expression syntax while processing parameters
>
> Can someone please remind me how to install this from ports (I
> assume)?

Generally, Perl modules map to MacPorts port names by case-squashing,
replacement of :: with - and prefixing with 'p5-' or p5.##- where ##
denotes the specific Perl minor version (without patchlevel.) The p5-*
ports are wrappers with variants for the available Perl versions and
dependencies on the versioned ports.

> Or is it pure Perl?  If the latter I'll then have to remember how to
> install a Perl module...

There are ports for many "pure Perl" modules. It is generally unwise to
use CPAN (either via the cpan script or 'perl -MCPAN -e <command>') to
install modules that exist as ports, particularly to fix dependencies in
MacPorts-originated software.

--
Bill Cole
[hidden email] or [hidden email]

Re: GQ requires XML::Parser

On Sep 15, 2019, at 23:36, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Trying to install the GQ LDAP browser I traced the failure to the Perl module "XML::Parser" being required.

Often, an error message seen when running a ./configure script saying that XML::Parser is required is erroneous, and actually means that that configure script contains boilerplate code to detect the presence of intltool--code which incorrectly believes that it should check for the presence of XML::Parser. It should not. intltool uses XML::Parser internally, but that is of no concern to any programs that will be using intltool, and specifically, the version of perl that was used to build intltool in MacPorts may not be the version of perl that the user has set as the default now. We have patched intltool in MacPorts not to do that when generating its boilerplate code [1], but unfortunately, the buggy code gets copied into every configure script generated with the broken intltool (for example, the intltool installed on every non-MacPorts-using developer's system), so you may have to run autoreconf (or run the project's ./autogen.sh or ./bootstrap script if it has one) to regenerate the configure script correctly.

[1] https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/textproc/intltool/files/patch-remove-intltool-perl-hack.diff

Wouldn't it be great if we could get that patch incorporated into the upstream intltool sources?

Re: GQ requires XML::Parser

Dave Horsfall
Thanks, all, for the helpful replies; when I get a round tuit I'll try
them out.

GQ isn't all that critical here; it's just that I used it in a previous
job, and at home I am slowly switching over to OpenLDAP for various
things.

-- Dave