Fwd: special activities on upgrade

Randall Wood-2
What is the best way to ensure that some commands that I currently
run post-destroot in libgsf only run on upgrade and not during a new
installation?

Randall Wood
[hidden email]

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the
rest is just philosophy."

Re: Fwd: special activities on upgrade

Salvatore Domenick Desiano
If I'm reading this correctly, I'm not sure what the distinction would
be used for. destroot goes into an empty tree, whether you are building
a new package or upgrading. Do you mean post-install?

-- Sal
smile.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Randall Wood wrote:

o What is the best way to ensure that some commands that I currently
o run post-destroot in libgsf only run on upgrade and not during a new
o installation?
o Randall Wood
o [hidden email]
o "The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
o All the
o rest is just philosophy."
o _______________________________________________
o Darwinports mailing list
o [hidden email]
o http://www.opendarwin.org/mailman/listinfo/darwinports

Re: special activities on upgrade

Randall Wood-2
Let me rephrase the question:

Is there a good or preferred way to have a Portfile take some post-*
or pre-* action only on upgrade and not on a new installation?

On 29 Mar 2006, at 13:25, Salvatore Domenick Desiano wrote:

> If I'm reading this correctly, I'm not sure what the distinction would
> be used for. destroot goes into an empty tree, whether you are
> building
> a new package or upgrading. Do you mean post-install?
>
> -- Sal
> smile.
>

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Randall Wood wrote:
>
> o What is the best way to ensure that some commands that I currently
> o run post-destroot in libgsf only run on upgrade and not during a new
> o installation?
> o Randall Wood
> o [hidden email]
> o "The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
> o All the
> o rest is just philosophy."
> o _______________________________________________
> o Darwinports mailing list
> o [hidden email]
> o http://www.opendarwin.org/mailman/listinfo/darwinports
>
> --------------
>   Salvatore Domenick Desiano
>     Research Scientist
>       Intelligent Systems Division (QSS Group, Inc.)
>         Explorations Technology Directorate
>           NASA Ames Research Center

Randall Wood
[hidden email]

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the
rest is just philosophy."

Re: special activities on upgrade

Salvatore Domenick Desiano
If you give me a specific example, I can give you a better answer.
Again, the only stage I can think of would be "post-activate" and
"pre-activate" (since those are teh only ones that actualy write to the
user area of the disk). But what's the goal?

-- Sal
smile.

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Randall Wood wrote:

o Let me rephrase the question:
o Is there a good or preferred way to have a Portfile take some post-*
o or pre-* action only on upgrade and not on a new installation?
o On 29 Mar 2006, at 13:25, Salvatore Domenick Desiano wrote:
o > If I'm reading this correctly, I'm not sure what the distinction would
o > be used for. destroot goes into an empty tree, whether you are
o > building
o > a new package or upgrading. Do you mean post-install?
o >
o > -- Sal
o > smile.
o >
o >
o >
o > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Randall Wood wrote:
o >
o > o What is the best way to ensure that some commands that I currently
o > o run post-destroot in libgsf only run on upgrade and not during a new
o > o installation?
o > o
o > o Randall Wood
o > o [hidden email]
o > o
o > o "The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
o > o All the
o > o rest is just philosophy."
o > o
o > o
o > o _______________________________________________
o > o Darwinports mailing list
o > o [hidden email]
o > o http://www.opendarwin.org/mailman/listinfo/darwinports
o > o
o > o
o >
o > --------------
o >   Salvatore Domenick Desiano
o >     Research Scientist
o >       Intelligent Systems Division (QSS Group, Inc.)
o >         Explorations Technology Directorate
o >           NASA Ames Research Center
o Randall Wood
o [hidden email]
o "The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
o All the
o rest is just philosophy."
o _______________________________________________
o Darwinports mailing list
o [hidden email]
o http://www.opendarwin.org/mailman/listinfo/darwinports

Re: special activities on upgrade

Jordan K. Hubbard-3
No.  Right now, DP has no notion of "upgrade" as a specific operation
distinct from "install".

It either probably should or ports which need special upgrade actions
should register pre-install hooks to do the appropriate sniffing
around and do the appropriate "am I already there?" actions.  I can
see pros and cons with either approach and don't really have a
favorite.  DarwinPorts Barbie says: "Upgrades are hard, let's go
shopping."

- Jordan