Faiss (py-faiss, libfaiss) Port Dev Question

Faiss (py-faiss, libfaiss) Port Dev Question

Steven Smith
I’d like to update and/or add a py-faiss port for https://github.com/facebookresearch/faiss/

Before taking the time to follow any specific approach, I’d appreciate some advice. Here’s the current situation:

• There’s a libfaiss port, but it’s 2 years out of date and doesn’t include the now-standard Python and PyTorch bindings (see https://github.com/facebookresearch/faiss/blob/master/INSTALL.md).
• The current port libfaiss doesn’t work to build the latest faiss v1.5.3.

It appears to me that the best/obvious thing would be to add a python/py-faiss port that would supersede math/libfaiss. The port math/libfaiss would be removed.

Before I go ahead and prepare a PR that does this, does anyone have any comments on this approach? Also, if it were to be implemented, what’s the best way to deprecate/remove math/libfaiss?

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Faiss (py-faiss, libfaiss) Port Dev Question

Frank Schima
Hi Steve,

> On Jun 24, 2020, at 7:44 AM, Steven Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’d like to update and/or add a py-faiss port for https://github.com/facebookresearch/faiss/
>
> Before taking the time to follow any specific approach, I’d appreciate some advice. Here’s the current situation:
>
> • There’s a libfaiss port, but it’s 2 years out of date and doesn’t include the now-standard Python and PyTorch bindings (see https://github.com/facebookresearch/faiss/blob/master/INSTALL.md).
> • The current port libfaiss doesn’t work to build the latest faiss v1.5.3.
>
> It appears to me that the best/obvious thing would be to add a python/py-faiss port that would supersede math/libfaiss. The port math/libfaiss would be removed.
>
> Before I go ahead and prepare a PR that does this, does anyone have any comments on this approach? Also, if it were to be implemented, what’s the best way to deprecate/remove math/libfaiss?

The current libfeiss port should be retained and updated to the latest version. It is independent of python. The python bindings should be added via a new py-faiss port that links to libfeiss.

Since libfeiss is maintained, you should open a new Trac ticket to request the update from the maintainers.

Cheers!
Frank