Error installing bash on Sierra

Barrie Stott
Some months ago I moved to Sierra from El Capitan and started upgrading my ports. Nothing went as it should and I became ill at about the same time. I abandoned everything until I was feeling better and that time has now arrived. Following the instructions in MacPorts Guide I cleaned out all my old ports and, using the list of ports given in myports.txt, began installing the ports 1 by 1 from the beginning: ack, autoconf, automake, bash. (I would give variants but there has been none so far.)

All went quickly and smoothly until bash which gave errors. I enclose the log file but line 9 gave me some cause for concern:

:debug:main OS darwin/16.6.0 (Mac OS X 10.12) arch i386

My 'Apple->About this Mac' says I have Sierra 10.12.5 and, being on an iMac, it should say arch x86_64. Also my Updates log says that my latest Sierra update was to 10.12.5 on 24th May.

If anyone can give me suggestions as to where to go from here, I’m all ears.

Barrie.

main.log (62K) Download Attachment

Re: Error installing bash on Sierra

Dave Horsfall
Does not /bin/bash come with the base system on your box?  It does on
mine, and has for years.

Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

On 27 May 2017, at 09:13, Dave Horsfall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does not /bin/bash come with the base system on your box?  It does on
> mine, and has for years.
>
> --
> Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

Thanks for the reply and yes it does. I’ve been behaving like the milkman’s horse and trying to install bash on Sierra because it was on El Capitan. I'll grant that MacPort’s bash at 4.4.12 is more recent that Apple’s at 3.2.57 but my uses are not at all esoteric and I’ve been using Apple’s since being without MacPorts with no problem. I’m really grateful; not only do I have a solution but one requiring no work!

Barrie.

Re: Error installing bash on Sierra

Ryan Schmidt-24
Barrie,

The error in your log says:

> :error:install Failed to install bash: no destroot found at: /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_shells_bash/bash/work/destroot

The solution is here:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#nodestrootfound

The fact that the log also says:

is normal and not a cause for concern. 16.6.0 is the Darwin version corresponding to macOS 10.12.5. And "arch i386", in this context, means any Intel computer, such as your iMac, as opposed to the older PowerPC computers made last decade.

On 27 May 2017, at 13:11, Ryan Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Barrie,
>
> The error in your log says:
>
>> :error:install Failed to install bash: no destroot found at: /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_shells_bash/bash/work/destroot
>
> The solution is here:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#nodestrootfound

It is easy when you know the signs. Anyway, apart from lout, I have completed my MacPorts installation. Surprisingly, I got the following error for lout.

:error:destroot Failed to destroot lout: command execution failed

I thought I was onto a winner here when I saw ‘destroot’. It turned out that there was nothing in the ProblemHotlist and, when I searched for tickets containing ‘lout’, there was none for lout so I’m a bit deflated now.

Thanks for your input, Ryan.

Barrie.