Default C compilers

Rick Hogg
Hello,
I've been experimenting with trying to install Garnome 2.14.0, but it keeps failing, telling me that my C compiler cannot create executables, so I tried changing my default compiler by altering the symbolic links in /usr/bin/ (gcc, cc) to point toward my DP gcc installations (4.1 and 4.2, at different times), and I'm wondering if I can change the link for g++.  Since g++ is included with gcc, would I point the link toward /opt/local/bin/gcc like I do for the other two?  Is there a version of g++ for DP?

Also, has anyone had any luck installing Garnome (not Gnome via DP)?  How did you do it?

Re: Default C compilers

Arnaud Delobelle

On 31 Mar 2006, at 15:22, Rick Hogg wrote:

> Hello,

Hello

> I've been experimenting with trying to install Garnome 2.14.0, but
> it keeps failing, telling me that my C compiler cannot create
> executables, so I tried changing my default compiler by altering
> the symbolic links in /usr/bin/ (gcc, cc) to point toward my DP gcc
> installations (4.1 and 4.2, at different times), and I'm wondering
> if I can change the link for g++.

Usually you can select your own C/C++ compiler to build things
without having to resort to this.  This involves setting CC / CXX.

 From http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/faq.html

2.4 Can I optimize my GARNOME build?

Open the gar.conf.mk file in the main GARNOME directory and look for
the CC, CXX and CFLAGS lines -- uncomment these and specify the flags
that you need.

note: the best way to get a set of CFLAGS that will work with your
configuration is to use the cpucaps program from the prompt, you
should see a line that says:

"Recommended gcc (version) target"

Uncomment and replace the CFLAGS line with the suggestions from that
line and restart your GARNOME build.

> Since g++ is included with gcc, would I point the link toward /opt/
> local/bin/gcc like I do for the other two?  Is there a version of g+
> + for DP?

g++ is only a program that calls gcc with the language set as C++ amd
links against the C++ library.  AFAIK it comes with any installation
of gcc

HTH

--
Arnaud