Dealing with False Positive during Livecheck

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dealing with False Positive during Livecheck

Jackson Isaac-2
Hi,

Recently I took upon a journey to try to update ports
which are tagged as 'nomaintainer' and noticed that
some of the ports give out false positives during livecheck.

This is due to the reason that upstream decided to tag a
newer version without actually updating the code / tarball.
Also the upstream seem to be inactive since the last changes
were made >5 years ago.

Few of the ports that I have noticed till now are:
1. aacgain
2. chemtool

I will be updating the list and probably put it up on wiki, so that in future
we don't spend time looking for the updated tarballs.

Feel free to add ports which you might have also encountered.

P.S: I didn't check the archives to see if this topic was discussed previously.

--
Jackson Isaac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dealing with False Positive during Livecheck

Perry E. Metzger
On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 11:25:16 +0530 Jackson Isaac
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I took upon a journey to try to update ports
> which are tagged as 'nomaintainer' and noticed that
> some of the ports give out false positives during livecheck.
>
> This is due to the reason that upstream decided to tag a
> newer version without actually updating the code / tarball.
> Also the upstream seem to be inactive since the last changes
> were made >5 years ago.
>
> Few of the ports that I have noticed till now are:
> 1. aacgain
> 2. chemtool
>
> I will be updating the list and probably put it up on wiki, so that
> in future we don't spend time looking for the updated tarballs.

Rather than putting this in the Wiki, is there a way to fix the
Portfile so that we don't get a false positive trigger? Then people
don't have to manually consider the problem.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dealing with False Positive during Livecheck

Jackson Isaac-2
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 9:23 PM, Perry E. Metzger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 11:25:16 +0530 Jackson Isaac
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Recently I took upon a journey to try to update ports
>> which are tagged as 'nomaintainer' and noticed that
>> some of the ports give out false positives during livecheck.
>>
>> This is due to the reason that upstream decided to tag a
>> newer version without actually updating the code / tarball.
>> Also the upstream seem to be inactive since the last changes
>> were made >5 years ago.
>>
>> Few of the ports that I have noticed till now are:
>> 1. aacgain
>> 2. chemtool
>>
>> I will be updating the list and probably put it up on wiki, so that
>> in future we don't spend time looking for the updated tarballs.
>
> Rather than putting this in the Wiki, is there a way to fix the
> Portfile so that we don't get a false positive trigger? Then people
> don't have to manually consider the problem.
>

One possible way as suggested on IRC is to add a comment in the Portfile
as to why it cannot and/or won't be updated further (in case of
inactive upstream)
and removing the livecheck regex.

--
Jackson Isaac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dealing with False Positive during Livecheck

Rainer Müller-4
On 2018-04-11 21:18, Jackson Isaac wrote:
> One possible way as suggested on IRC is to add a comment in the Portfile
> as to why it cannot and/or won't be updated further (in case of
> inactive upstream)
> and removing the livecheck regex.

Be careful that removing the options does not mean disabling. For
aacgain it worked, because the default livecheck will now match 1.8
only. If you really want to disable livecheck, set livecheck.type.

  livecheck.type none

Rainer