Quantcast

Can't use rsync port

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Can't use rsync port

miles3
I am trying to use MacPorts inside our corporate infrastructure. And IT security is somewhat strict - very few network ports are open, so I can forget about using rsync's port (or SMB or AFP, etc). We do have access to http and ftp ports through the firewall. If subversion uses a different port (I don't know) than I probably can't use that either.

How can I configure MacPorts to use some other method. And NO, I can't get IT to open the network port (I don't know why I always get this question).

Thanks in advance,

- Miles
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't use rsync port

Thomas De Contes

Le mardi, 24 juil 2007, à 00:59 Europe/Paris, miles3 a écrit :

> I am trying to use MacPorts inside our corporate infrastructure. And IT
> security is somewhat strict - very few network ports are open, so I can
> forget about using rsync's port (or SMB or AFP, etc). We do have
> access to
> http and ftp ports through the firewall.

> If subversion uses a different port
> (I don't know) than I probably can't use that either.

subversion can use the http port, or an other (following the svn
protocol, i suppose, i don't know it)
it depends of the server

for MacPorts it is the http port :-)
svn co
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_5_0/base/ 
macports/


> How can I configure MacPorts to use some other method.

> And NO, I can't get
> IT to open the network port (I don't know why I always get this
> question).

just the next question : why ??
because, really, rsync is a well-known protocol, so it's curious that
firewalls block it !

(in fact, what's the interest for a firewalls to block not well-known
protocols ? since a hacker will be able to use the few open ports to
communicate ...)

on top of that, some ports may want to use rsync instead of http to
download their sources


--
Mon CV : http://tDeContes.hd.free.fr/divers/emploi/

_______________________________________________
macports-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo/macports-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't use rsync port

Ryan Schmidt-24

On Jul 23, 2007, at 18:54, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> Le mardi, 24 juil 2007, à 00:59 Europe/Paris, miles3 a écrit :
>
>> I am trying to use MacPorts inside our corporate infrastructure.  
>> And IT
>> security is somewhat strict - very few network ports are open, so  
>> I can
>> forget about using rsync's port (or SMB or AFP, etc). We do have  
>> access to
>> http and ftp ports through the firewall.
>
>> If subversion uses a different port
>> (I don't know) than I probably can't use that either.
>
> subversion can use the http port, or an other (following the svn  
> protocol, i suppose, i don't know it)
> it depends of the server
>
> for MacPorts it is the http port :-)
> svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/ 
> release_1_5_0/base/ macports/
>
>> How can I configure MacPorts to use some other method.

1. Check out a working copy of the ports tree to some place on your  
hard disk, such as to your home directory:

svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports ~/dports

2. Edit the file /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf. Comment out  
the line starting with "rsync://" and add a new line pointing to your  
working copy, in URL form, e.g.:

file:///Users/rschmidt/dports


> on top of that, some ports may want to use rsync instead of http to  
> download their sources

I don't think so. Ports can fetch software via a normal curl-
accessible URL (http, https, ftp), or by checking out from a CVS or  
Subversion repository, but those are the only options I'm aware of.  
Searching portfetch.tcl reveals no occurrences of the string "rsync"  
so I don't think there's any way that a port could be fetching  
anything via rsync.


_______________________________________________
macports-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo/macports-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't use rsync port

miles3
Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote
On Jul 23, 2007, at 18:54, Thomas De Contes wrote:

> miles3 wrote:
>> ...
>> How can I configure MacPorts to use some other method [than rsync].

1. Check out a working copy of the ports tree to some place on your  
hard disk, such as to your home directory:

svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports ~/dports

2. Edit the file /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf. Comment out  
the line starting with "rsync://" and add a new line pointing to your  
working copy, in URL form, e.g.:

file:///Users/rschmidt/dports
Ryan,

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful and I am now further along in this process. Unfortunately, the install and quickstart instructions are telling me to do things that are erroring.

Info:  dports is copied to:  /opt/local/dport

Here is what happens when I try...
   $ sudo port -d selfupdate
  DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
  DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
  Synchronizing from file:///opt/local/dports
  DEBUG: MacPorts base dir: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base
  DEBUG: Setting user: root
  MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
  DEBUG: Updating using rsync
  rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
  rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24/rsync/clientserver.c(94)
  DEBUG: Error: rsync failed in selfupdate
      while executing
  "macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
  Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error: rsync failed in selfupdate

Clearly self update is using rsync - I guess this just won't work without rsync?


  $ sudo port search mysql
  Warning: Can't open index file for source: file:///opt/local/dports
  Error: search for portname mysql failed: No index(es) found! Have you synced your source indexes?

I guess I need to grab more than just the dports repository? Where can I find out this information?


Thanks for everyone's help

- Miles
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Can't use rsync port

Ryan Schmidt-24
On Jul 24, 2007, at 14:37, miles3 wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:
>
>> On Jul 23, 2007, at 18:54, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>>
>>> miles3 wrote:
>>>> ...
>>>> How can I configure MacPorts to use some other method [than rsync].
>>
>> 1. Check out a working copy of the ports tree to some place on your
>> hard disk, such as to your home directory:
>>
>> svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports ~/
>> dports
>>
>> 2. Edit the file /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf. Comment out
>> the line starting with "rsync://" and add a new line pointing to your
>> working copy, in URL form, e.g.:
>>
>> file:///Users/rschmidt/dports
>
> Thanks for the info, it was very helpful and I am now further along  
> in this
> process. Unfortunately, the install and quickstart instructions are  
> telling
> me to do things that are erroring.
>
> Info:  dports is copied to:  /opt/local/dport
>
> Here is what happens when I try...
>    $ sudo port -d selfupdate
>   DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
>   DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
>   Synchronizing from file:///opt/local/dports
>   DEBUG: MacPorts base dir:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/base
>   DEBUG: Setting user: root
>   MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
>   DEBUG: Updating using rsync
>   rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed  
> out (60)
>   rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
> /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24/rsync/clientserver.c(94)
>   DEBUG: Error: rsync failed in selfupdate
>       while executing
>   "macports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
>   Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error: rsync  
> failed in
> selfupdate
>
> Clearly self update is using rsync - I guess this just won't work  
> without
> rsync?

Correct. "selfupdate" uses rsync to get the latest MacPorts source  
code. If you already have MacPorts 1.5, you already have the latest,  
so you do not need to use "selfupdate". You can use "sync" instead.  
When MacPorts 1.5.1 comes out we'll have to see what we do then.

>   $ sudo port search mysql
>   Warning: Can't open index file for source: file:///opt/local/dports
>   Error: search for portname mysql failed: No index(es) found! Have  
> you
> synced your source indexes?
>
> I guess I need to grab more than just the dports repository? Where  
> can I
> find out this information?

No, there's nothing else you need. The indexes it's talking about are  
the file "PortIndex" which should be directly inside that directory.  
Maybe this will clear up after a "sync".




_______________________________________________
macports-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo/macports-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: rsync port & updating ports

miles3
Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote
On Jul 24, 2007, at 14:37, miles3 wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:
>
>> On Jul 23, 2007, at 18:54, Thomas De Contes wrote:
>>
>>> miles3 wrote:
>>>> ...How can I configure MacPorts to use some other method [than rsync].
>>
>> 1. Check out a working copy of the ports tree to some place on your
>> hard disk, such as to your home directory:
>>
>> svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports ~/dports
>>
>> 2. Edit the file /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf. Comment out
>> the line starting with "rsync://" and add a new line pointing to your
>> working copy, in URL form, e.g.:
>>
>> file:///Users/rschmidt/dports
>  ...
> Info:  dports is copied to:  /opt/local/dport
>
> Here is what happens when I try:    $ sudo port -d selfupdate
>   rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed  
> out (60)
> ...
>   Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error: rsync failed in selfupdate
>
> Clearly 'selfupdate' is using rsync - I guess this just won't work without rsync?

Correct. "selfupdate" uses rsync to get the latest MacPorts source  
code. If you already have MacPorts 1.5, you already have the latest,  
so you do not need to use "selfupdate". You can use "sync" instead.  
When MacPorts 1.5.1 comes out we'll have to see what we do then.

>   $ sudo port search mysql
>   Warning: Can't open index file for source: file:///opt/local/dports
>   Error: search for portname mysql failed: No index(es) found! Have  
>    you synced your source indexes?
>
> I guess I need to grab more than just the dports repository? Where  
> can I find out this information?

No, there's nothing else you need. The indexes it's talking about are  
the file "PortIndex" which should be directly inside that directory.  
Maybe this will clear up after a "sync".
Ryan,

Thanks for the help. To be clear, what you were suggesting was that I use the command:
  sudo port -d sync
rather than 'selfupdate'. 'sync' will use subversion to update the Ports database, where selfupdate uses rsync.

What does 'selfupdate' do that 'sync' will not? Do I need to worry about updating the 'ports' package when a new version comes out? Would it be OK for me to just run the pkg installer?

Everything seems to be working - with the frustrating exception of db44 (see http://www.nabble.com/Full-db44-error-tf4021954.html#a11866676 )

Thanks again for your help,

- Miles
Loading...