Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten
So apparently the open source code version of Jedi Knights Academy and Outcast https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK rely on brew's SDL 2, and have that installation pathname in their binaries.

Can I install brew, with its use of /usr/local/, at the same time as ports?
---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Al Varnell
I'm told it can be done now, but can get messy. I gave up on brew several years ago. Too many conflicts back then.

Sent from Janet's iPad

-Al-
--
Al Varnell
Mountain View, CA

On May 27, 2017, at 7:13 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So apparently the open source code version of Jedi Knights Academy and Outcast https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK rely on brew's SDL 2, and have that installation pathname in their binaries.
>
> Can I install brew, with its use of /usr/local/, at the same time as ports?

Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Mark Anderson-10
Yes, but I'd advise against it. I thought I had to for RVM and it caused me loads of trouble. Then I learned I could set it to MacPorts and a deleted brew and never looked back. I've been using MacPorts since before Intel, so I'm attached.

—Mark
_______________________
Mark E. Anderson <[hidden email]>

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Al Varnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm told it can be done now, but can get messy. I gave up on brew several years ago. Too many conflicts back then.

Sent from Janet's iPad

-Al-
--
Al Varnell
Mountain View, CA

On May 27, 2017, at 7:13 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So apparently the open source code version of Jedi Knights Academy and Outcast https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK rely on brew's SDL 2, and have that installation pathname in their binaries.
>
> Can I install brew, with its use of /usr/local/, at the same time as ports?

Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Ken Cunningham
I'm about 95% finished a Portfile for OpenJK. It doesn't take but a few minutes to make one for a port like this. It's fully built and sitting on my hard drive. Just working out a patchfile or two for an openGL glitch on MacOS that is widely known, and I'll test it out. If it works, I'll send you the Portfile.

Portfiles for games like this usually involve a couple of "hacks" that are generally frowned upon in the rather pure environment of the MacPorts repo. So you might need to install it "rogue". We'll see.

Ken

On 2017-05-27, at 9:33 PM, Ken Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm about 95% finished a Portfile for OpenJK. It doesn't take but a few minutes to make one for a port like this. It's fully built and sitting on my hard drive. Just working out a patchfile or two for an openGL glitch on MacOS that is widely known, and I'll test it out. If it works, I'll send you the Portfile.

Oh, do you mean any of the following:
1. Screen color calibration is ignored and it suddenly goes "very blue" as soon as an openGL program launches,
2. External trackpads (not USB, but with a system driver program) fail to work
3. "resolution settings" that forget about the size of the menu bar / title bar for a window mode
4. "resolution settings" that don't actually fetch the 16:10 settings? Or that don't fetch the actual monitor
5. Only the built-in monitor's calibration is ignored, an external monitor stays unaffected

I found it amazing that the original version could identify the retina resolutions, and use them (nb: the default was the raw 2800-something highest resolution, even if you asked for a window), while the OpenJK (I got it to work with a symlink to the macports SDL) wanted to give me IBM style 4:3 resolutions. Neither could tell that I had a 720p external monitor, nor give me the resolutions for that, and the openJK was willing to give me a triple width (labeled surround) which seemed to assume I had a three monitor setup.

For what it's worth, I still hate games that assume "Your computer is nothing more than a 1984-era single process thing, just more powerful; we'll take over everything on your system/screen, because you can't possibly have anything else happening if you want to play a game".

(NB: If you have to hard-code in stuff like a 1024x576, or similar for a 698p (720 - 22), to get a window mode that actually fits on-screen because there's no programmatic way to fetch "available windowed space", that's OK with me :-).

> Portfiles for games like this usually involve a couple of "hacks" that are generally frowned upon in the rather pure environment of the MacPorts repo. So you might need to install it "rogue". We'll see.
>
> Ken
>

> On 2017-05-27, at 9:02 PM, Mark Anderson wrote:
>
>> Yes, but I'd advise against it. I thought I had to for RVM and it caused me loads of trouble. Then I learned I could set it to MacPorts and a deleted brew and never looked back. I've been using MacPorts since before Intel, so I'm attached.
>>
>> —Mark
>> _______________________
>> Mark E. Anderson <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Al Varnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm told it can be done now, but can get messy. I gave up on brew several years ago. Too many conflicts back then.
>>
>> Sent from Janet's iPad
>>
>> -Al-
>> --
>> Al Varnell
>> Mountain View, CA
>>
>> On May 27, 2017, at 7:13 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > So apparently the open source code version of Jedi Knights Academy and Outcast https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK rely on brew's SDL 2, and have that installation pathname in their binaries.
>> >
>> > Can I install brew, with its use of /usr/local/, at the same time as ports?

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Michael David Crawford
You could install OS X in a VirtualBox virtual machine, then use
nothing but brew there.
Mike Crawford, Baritone
[hidden email]

      One Must Not Trifle With Wizards For It Makes Us Soggy And Hard To Light.

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Ken Cunningham
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm about 95% finished a Portfile for OpenJK. It doesn't take but a few
> minutes to make one for a port like this. It's fully built and sitting on my
> hard drive. Just working out a patchfile or two for an openGL glitch on
> MacOS that is widely known, and I'll test it out. If it works, I'll send you
> the Portfile.
>
> Portfiles for games like this usually involve a couple of "hacks" that are
> generally frowned upon in the rather pure environment of the MacPorts repo.
> So you might need to install it "rogue". We'll see.
>
> Ken
>

> On 2017-05-27, at 9:02 PM, Mark Anderson wrote:
>
> Yes, but I'd advise against it. I thought I had to for RVM and it caused me
> loads of trouble. Then I learned I could set it to MacPorts and a deleted
> brew and never looked back. I've been using MacPorts since before Intel, so
> I'm attached.
>
> —Mark
> _______________________
> Mark E. Anderson <[hidden email]>
>
> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Al Varnell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm told it can be done now, but can get messy. I gave up on brew several
>> years ago. Too many conflicts back then.
>>
>> Sent from Janet's iPad
>>
>> -Al-
>> --
>> Al Varnell
>> Mountain View, CA
>>
>> On May 27, 2017, at 7:13 PM, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > So apparently the open source code version of Jedi Knights Academy and
>> > Outcast https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK rely on brew's SDL 2, and have
>> > that installation pathname in their binaries.
>> >
>> > Can I install brew, with its use of /usr/local/, at the same time as
>> > ports?

Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Ken Cunningham
It sounds like you got a build working already, so you probably done care about this anymore, but this Portfile

<https://github.com/kencu/myports/tree/master/games/OpenJK>

with it's associated patches actually does build the port.

I have not added in the deps yet. It builds just fine on my system, but I have hundreds of deps installed already. You might run into a missing dep.

Also, although I downloaded the game from the wayback machine

<https://ia601704.us.archive.org/29/items/jediacademy_source/jediAcademy.zip>

I have not yet figured out where to exactly put all the files to make everything work.

Perhaps you can help with that?

On 2017-05-27, at 11:24 PM, Ken Cunningham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It sounds like you got a build working already, so you probably done care about this anymore, but this Portfile

Works? It launches. It behaved so poorly that ... yuck.

> <https://github.com/kencu/myports/tree/master/games/OpenJK>
>
> with it's associated patches actually does build the port.
>
> I have not added in the deps yet. It builds just fine on my system, but I have hundreds of deps installed already. You might run into a missing dep.
>
> Also, although I downloaded the game from the wayback machine
>
> <https://ia601704.us.archive.org/29/items/jediacademy_source/jediAcademy.zip>
>
> I have not yet figured out where to exactly put all the files to make everything work.
>
> Perhaps you can help with that?

Sure. I'll go over all that in the morning when my brain is fresh.

The source code on github has a lot of bug fixes and patches (about 2 years of active development).

Oh -- did you know that the filenames displayed in finder do not have to have any correlation to the filenames as seen by the shell and other programs? Or that Finder is perfectly happy to display two different "files with the same name"?

> Thanks,

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce

Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Ken Cunningham

> Oh -- did you know that the filenames displayed in finder do not have to have any correlation to the filenames as seen by the shell and other programs? Or that Finder is perfectly happy to display two different "files with the same name"?

In fact, I did notice that, and was rather confused by it. Maybe a fresh look in the morning might sort that out!

Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Michael David Crawford
HFS had file IDs.  I'm not sure about HFS+.  You could open a file by its ID.

Suppose you had a file on the desktop then copied it into a folder.
Or alternatively you have a file in a folder and copy it to the
desktop.  The file IDs for each scenario will be different.

(Hope that makes sense.)
Mike Crawford, Baritone
[hidden email]

      One Must Not Trifle With Wizards For It Makes Us Soggy And Hard To Light.

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 11:32 PM, Ken Cunningham
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Oh -- did you know that the filenames displayed in finder do not have to have any correlation to the filenames as seen by the shell and other programs? Or that Finder is perfectly happy to display two different "files with the same name"?
>
> In fact, I did notice that, and was rather confused by it. Maybe a fresh look in the morning might sort that out!
>
> Ken

Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

OK Mike,

If you care to try out a MacPorts build of OpenJK yourself, the Portfile is in reasonable working condition.

> <https://github.com/kencu/myports/tree/master/games/OpenJK>

I have not yet added in all the deps -- this builds through on my system. I have SDL1.2 and SDL2 installed, and lots of others. I'll figure that out on a VM I use for that.

You might run into a missing dependency. Let me know.

Also - I don't actually own this game, so I don't have the associated files to make it actually work at present.

This site <https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/178-installing-openjk-on-os-x/> seems to have sorted out where to put the files.

I think they can go in ~/Library/Application Support/OpenJK/base

but let me know.

OpenJK -- WAS Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Ken Cunningham
Hey,

I can confirm that this game builds and runs very nicely on macOS!  Looks quite excellent on modern hardware.

One little hiccup the should be fixable with a bit of digging -- all the dylibs are names *86.dylib and need to be renamed *86_64.dylib (or symlinked to that, which is what I did. ). Some kind of "arch" naming thing that doesn't quite work perfectly during the build.

Maybe I can figure out how to rename them in the build file and make this Portfle acceptable for MacPorts -- but for now I just symlink them manually, and it works perfectly well.

Ken

On 2017-05-28, at 3:31 PM, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> OK Mike,
>
> If you care to try out a MacPorts build of OpenJK yourself, the Portfile is in reasonable working condition.
>
>> <https://github.com/kencu/myports/tree/master/games/OpenJK>
>
> I have not yet added in all the deps -- this builds through on my system. I have SDL1.2 and SDL2 installed, and lots of others. I'll figure that out on a VM I use for that.
>
> You might run into a missing dependency. Let me know.
>
> Also - I don't actually own this game, so I don't have the associated files to make it actually work at present.
>
> This site <https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/178-installing-openjk-on-os-x/> seems to have sorted out where to put the files.
>
> I think they can go in ~/Library/Application Support/OpenJK/base
>
> but let me know.

Re: OpenJK -- WAS Re: Can brew and port be used on the same system?

Ken Cunningham
OK. I believe it's all fixed now.
I added the deps as I believe them to be at present.
Works great!

I'll upload the new port structure to here: <https://github.com/kencu/myports/tree/master/games/openjk>

and submit a PR for it shortly.

Best,