C++17 is here. Should we use it?

JF Bastien-2
Hello WebKilters,

Our Chrome-y friends are considering the use of C++14. I have to say that C++14 in WebKit has been quite amazing, and we should consider using C++17: it has many wonderful new things, some of which we already use through WTF’s re-implementation of library features. By now (table as witness) most C++17 languages features are in clang and GCC, and MSVC isn’t doing too bad either. Language things can just come through WTF if we really want them.

So how about it?

JF

Re: C++17 is here. Should we use it?

Yusuke SUZUKI
I really like C++17, `if with initializer` is super great. Awesome constexpr lambda and if.
And std::optional and std::variant...

However, IIRC, WebKitGTK+ needs to support some old compilers.
The current GCC support is 5.0.0, which is recently upgraded.

Possibly, mcatanzaro and clopez know much about WebKitGTK+ compiler dependencies.

Regards,
Yusuke Suzuki

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 5:39 AM, JF Bastien <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello WebKilters,

Our Chrome-y friends are considering the use of C++14. I have to say that C++14 in WebKit has been quite amazing, and we should consider using C++17: it has many wonderful new things, some of which we already use through WTF’s re-implementation of library features. By now (table as witness) most C++17 languages features are in clang and GCC, and MSVC isn’t doing too bad either. Language things can just come through WTF if we really want them.

So how about it?

JF

Re: C++17 is here. Should we use it?

Michael Catanzaro
On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Yusuke SUZUKI <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Possibly, mcatanzaro and clopez know much about WebKitGTK+ compiler
> dependencies.

As a result of the C++14 discussion on this list a few months ago, we
relaxed our dependencies policy [1] to allow upgrading to GCC 5 one
year earlier than planned, to the displeasure of some of our
distributors who now have to build a custom compiler as part of their
WebKit builds. We would prefer not to relax the policy further.

Our current schedule looks like:

 * GCC 6 could be required in April 2018 (next Ubuntu LTS release)
 * GCC 7 (required for C++17) could be required likely late in 2019
(next Debian stable release)

Is that acceptable for Apple?

Michael

[1] https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/WebKitGTK/DependenciesPolicy