Building WebKit for an iOS device

Frédéric WANG
Hello,

For development and testing purpose, I was wondering if there is a way
to produce a build of WebKit/Safari-mobile and to install it on a device
(instead of using the iOS simulator)? And is there any specific
requirement like having an Apple developer license and a registered device?

I know that we have a builder [1] and I just noticed the "--ios-device"
parameter for the build-webkit script but I can't find any information
on the official documentation [2] or on the WebKit wiki. I also tried
searching this mailing list about the topic but could not find any
relevant thread.

Thanks,

Frédéric

[1] https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple%20iOS%2010%20Release%20(Build)
[2] https://webkit.org/building-webkit/

Re: Building WebKit for an iOS device

Alex Christensen-2
WebKit can be built and run on the iOS simulator by anyone with the public iOS SDK.  I use https://webkit.org/blog/3457/building-webkit-for-ios-simulator/ when I forget how to do this.

I guess WebKit can be built for device, but I’m pretty sure WebKit cannot be put as the system framework on an iOS device without Apple-internal tools.  With a lot of work you might be able to statically link everything into a custom app for local debugging, but I’m pretty sure such an app would be rejected by the App Store based on section 2.5.6 of https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

On Jul 12, 2017, at 8:31 AM, Frédéric WANG <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

For development and testing purpose, I was wondering if there is a way
to produce a build of WebKit/Safari-mobile and to install it on a device
(instead of using the iOS simulator)? And is there any specific
requirement like having an Apple developer license and a registered device?

I know that we have a builder [1] and I just noticed the "--ios-device"
parameter for the build-webkit script but I can't find any information
on the official documentation [2] or on the WebKit wiki. I also tried
searching this mailing list about the topic but could not find any
relevant thread.

Thanks,

Frédéric

[1] https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple%20iOS%2010%20Release%20(Build)
[2] https://webkit.org/building-webkit/

Re: Building WebKit for an iOS device

Michael Saboff
I’ll add a little to Alex’s comments.

I doubt you could build all of WebKit with the public iOS SDK.  You certainly can’t sign JavaScriptCore to use JIT memory.  Even if could build WebKit and statically linked your code with what you built, there will likely be some mismatch between the WebKit you built and the System frameworks that WebKit links against, such as UIKit, that will cause your app to crash on startup.

- Michael

Le 12/07/2017 à 19:19, Alex Christensen a écrit :

> WebKit can be built and run on the iOS simulator by anyone with the
> public iOS SDK.  I
> use https://webkit.org/blog/3457/building-webkit-for-ios-simulator/ when
> I forget how to do this.
>
> I guess WebKit can be built for device, but I’m pretty sure WebKit
> cannot be put as the system framework on an iOS device without
> Apple-internal tools.  With a lot of work you might be able to
> statically link everything into a custom app for local debugging, but
> I’m pretty sure such an app would be rejected by the App Store based
> on section 2.5.6
> of https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/

Yes, I'm already using the simulator for running tests and testing local
ios builds. I was just wondering whether it was possible to produce and
install a local build for development and testing purpose on a device.
Apparently from your reply and Michael's this seems quite unlikely with
the public iOS SDK :-( I guess it would be nice to mention this
limitation on https://webkit.org/building-webkit/

Thanks.

--
Frédéric Wang